Style Crushing & Velvet Flashbacks | Life Love and Hiccups: Style Crushing & Velvet Flashbacks
Life Love and HiccupsLife Love and HiccupsLife Love and HiccupsLife Love and Hiccups

Wednesday 9 March 2016

Style Crushing & Velvet Flashbacks

Pin It
I have a pair of green vintage faux velvet pants circa 1990, but before you go and get all "ooo Sonia you trendy little minx you" don't waste your breath - those pants actually live in my kids dress up box and are stained with sweet and sour sauce from their final booze filled outing at a local china restaurant. 

As much as I might secretly aspire to be - I am so not trendy.

Sure, at the time when I was wearing those pants I at least thought I was all 'that'... well kinda.

I actually found those velvet pants of mine on the sale rack at Dotti and refusing to accept that they had had their time already - I was determined to milk every last wear out of them before my friends refused to be seen with me.

I don't think 'trendy' and I have ever quite understood each other.

Once upon a time I entertained the idea that I could be trendy, and I did a pretty good job of convincing myself ... until that day when I was thirteenish and I wore my new tartan pants and short pixie hair cut to Luna Park for a party and I was called a boy by another kid and her mum.

Yeaaaaahhhh not quite as trendy as I thought after all.

If you had cornered me in the bathroom that night back in the 90s (when I was trying to clean the spilt sweet and sour sauce from my green velvet pants whilst my friends were all thinking 'Thank F**k that's the end of those hideous pants")  and asked whether I believed velvet would ever make it's way back onto my crush list again -  well I probably would have blinded myself with a chopstick whilst I laughed myself stupid and choked on a bowl of dim sums.

Until now of course... NOW I take it ALL back because I am loving velvet again dear friends.

OK so I won't be dropping those green velvet pants off at the dry cleaners anytime soon (although I did attempt to try them on before I got them halfway up one leg and gave up) I am kind of tempted to throw myself head first into some decorating at home - decorating of the luxe velvety kind.

Yup - velvet is back and apparently, it's bang on trend. 

This time around I'm getting in before the sale racks do and so I have been busy scouring the interwebs for some inspiration for a little Autumn / Winter jooshing at home. 

Take a little peek at what I've been crushing on and tell me;

Are you a fan of Velvet or do you have any vintage trends hiding in your closet waiting for a revival?
What would you bring back if you could?

chair in header image from Bodie and Fou
La Dolce Vita
Harpers Bazaar
Elle
Dust Jacket Attic
AD Magazine
Found Rentals
Lisa Cohen via Vogue Living 

8 Things I WON'T Be Doing Before I Die

How to Make Paper Flowers

The Test That Could Change Your Future

Taming The Hallway Chaos

From Dumb to Dumber