Women Who Dare to Dream 3 - Gemma from My Big Nutshell | Life Love and Hiccups: Women Who Dare to Dream 3 - Gemma from My Big Nutshell
Life Love and HiccupsLife Love and HiccupsLife Love and HiccupsLife Love and Hiccups

Wednesday 5 June 2013

Women Who Dare to Dream 3 - Gemma from My Big Nutshell

Pin It
Gemma from My Big Nutshell was one of the very first people I connected with through blogging and met up with in person soon after. She is every bit as fabulous, funny and eccentric in real life as she comes across on her blog and I love nothing more than sharing a cocktail or 3 with her whenever we can..

Not only is Gemma one of the most generous and caring people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting, she is brave and gutsy and has dealt with her recent heartache with the most incredible mix of grace, humour and dignity.

Sadly, dreams don't always work out the way we hope they will, but through her grief at the breakdown of her marriage, Gemma has found hope .... hope AND some wings.



I never set out to be a single mother, I don’t think anyone does when they first get married. All these dreams, hopes and aspirations overflowing with potential. As they become more tangible things appear to be settling as they should. Life progresses as it should, milestones are reached. Then it all falls apart and the belief all along happens to not be the truth.

Sonia and I have known each other for sometime now. We do hang out over a cocktail glass when we can and our children look forward to playing together during the school holidays.

Everyone gets the opportunity to think they are worthy of taking a leap of faith. Sonia is one person I know who has taken her sweet time to make her leap of faith and just like me, our journey’s are at the beginning.

I once read, when you jump you get your wings.  

The jump I am doing is big, I am not sure I have prepared enough, the free fall is making me breathless and excited and scared and I am not sure if I’ve wet my pants from fear or poor pelvic floor.  

But like the ugly duckling I feel a transformation happening.

In discussions with a dear insightful friend today we were pondering what happens when you open yourself to someone and allow them to draw the best of you out.  

I was taken aback when she said that potentially this could mean you won’t be the person you are now. 

But what if I like the me I am now?  

Clearly I was missing the point by being stuck in myopia.

As I approach this new life status (or whatever it’s called on the bloody Centrelink form) I am prepared to drop the fear that I have and make decisions that foremost has self love and love for my kids as the key factor to achieving happiness and feeling at peace.

When I wasn’t feeling these things for many years, to the point I thought they were lost forever, chasing the dreams I am worthy of is the truest action I can take.   

As I free fall, I can feel my wings growing and expanding and I am truly confident that I won’t hit the ground. And if I do….. I’ll just climb back up and do it again.

You can find Gemma on Facebook here, Instagram and Pinterest too.


Don't forget to check back tomorrow for our next guest in the Dare to Dream Guest Post Series.