A Festive Christmas Wreath | Life Love and Hiccups: A Festive Christmas Wreath
Life Love and HiccupsLife Love and HiccupsLife Love and HiccupsLife Love and Hiccups

Tuesday 18 December 2012

A Festive Christmas Wreath

Pin It

I had this idea in my head that I wanted a fresh wreath for the front door. I had seen them in magazines and they just looks so rustic and Christmassy ..... and expensive.

I wasn't wrong on the expensive part. I priced some up at different places and spoke to my favourite florist and they wanted over $100 to make. $100 bucks for something that will just die off in this heat anyway? I couldn't get my head around it.

So in what seems to be a regular occurrence with me, I was sitting there with a Vodka and lime in hand drooling over wreaths in magazines and I decided that bugger it - I would make one myself.

A quick trip to Spotlight for some supplies and a pre-approved frenzied raid careful pruning of my mums Bay tree and I was good to go.

I had no idea what I was doing, but it kinda worked somehow and I am pickled proud of the result. It honestly was not hard at all. A little fiddly until you get the hang of it, but it was done in under an hour.


WHAT YOU NEED
Some greenery of your choice
Florist Wire
A metal or wooden ring
Shears

I just cut the bay leaves into little manageable lengths and started attaching them all in one direction around the ring. Keep doubling up until you achieve the density you are after.

I finished it off with a ribbon I cut from Grain sack cloth and just left it simple and unadorned. Add a length of Bakers twine to hang it from a hook on the door and for under $10 bucks I had the fresh festive wreath I was yearning for.

It smells divine and no one is allowed in my front door without admiring it and telling me how gorgeous it is. Modest aren't I?